Pest description and crop damage Small, gray-brown, worm-like larvae that develop a tough skin and are commonly called leatherjackets. They feed on clover and a number of vegetables. They are particularly damaging to seedling vegetables.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (as a mix with zeta-cypermethrin).
- plant-derived essential oils (rosemary, peppermint, etc.)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- azadirachtin (Neemix 4.5)- See label for rates. REI 4 hr. Acts slowly; apply early. Thorough coverage and repeat applications are necessary.
- carbaryl (Sevin 4F) at 1 to 2 lb ai/A. PHI 14 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 7 days. Limit 5 treatments per year. Do not exceed 6 lb ai/A per season.