Pest description, crop damage and life history
Management-biological, cultural, tactical
To assess potential infestation levels prior to planting, place a cut potato or other vegetable or fruit in the field and apply bakers yeast with some water to the cut surface. Leave the bait for several hours and return to look for the presence of adult seedcorn maggot flies as they are attracted to carbon dioxide.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- pyrethrins-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- bifenthrin/IBA (Empower 2) at 0.04 to 0.1 lb ai/A. PHI 3 days. REI 24 hr. Retreatment interval 7 days. Do not exceed 0.3 lb ai/A per season.
- bifenthrin (Brigade WSB) at 0.05 to 0.1 lb ai/A in furrow with seed or transplant. REI 12 hr.
- bifenthrin/Avermectin (Athena) at 0.06 to 0.12 lb ai/A at plant broadcast, in-furrow or drench. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.35 lb ai/A Athena, 0.056 lb ai/A avermectin, or 0.3 lb ai/A bifenthrin per season.
- thiamethoxam (Cruiser 5FS) consult label.
Note: Pesticides may injure cucurbits. The possibility of injury is less when foliage is dry at time of application.