Pest description, crop damage and life history
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
Apply any one of these materials to the soil surface at first sign of cutworm activity. Consult label. Minimum pre-harvest interval (PHI) varies with crop. Difficult to control. Where cutworms are on the soil surface, a carbaryl drench, when bees are not present, may help. Beans, tomatoes, and late corn are most often "hoed" by cutworms. Attack varies in severity with locality and year.
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Beauvaria bassiana-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- Bacillus thuringiensis (Javelin, Xentari) at 0.12 to 1.5 lb/a. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Slow acting. May need multiple applications. Add an appropriate spreader-sticker to enhance control. Most effective on small larvae. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic production.
- beta-cyfluthrin (Baythroid XL) at 0.016 to 0.022 lb ai/a soil application. PHI 0 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 2 days. Do not exceed 0.22 lb ai/a per year.
- bifenthrin/zeta-cypermethrin (Hero) at 0.04 to 0.1 lb ai/a. PHI 3 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 3 to 5 days. Do not exceed 0.266 lb ai/a per season.
- Burkholderia spp. (Venerate XC) at 1 to 8 quarts/a product. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- carbaryl (Sevin) at 2 lb ai/a. PHI 2 days for harvest of ears, 14 days for forage, 48 days for fodder. REI 24 hr. Retreatment interval 3 days. Limit 8 treatments per year . Do not exceed 16 lb ai/a per year.
- chlorpyrifos (Lorsban 4E) at 0.5 to 1 lb ai/a. PHI 21 days. Limit 3 treatments of any chlorpyrifos product. Retreatment interval 10 days. Do not exceed 3 lb ai/a per season. Consult label for application details.
- chlorantraniliprole (Coragen) at 0.045 to 0.098 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 4 hr. Limit 4 treatments per crop. Retreatment interval 1 day. Do not exceed 0.2 lb ai/a per season.
- chlorantraniliprole/lambda-cyhalothrin (Besiege) at 0.06 to 0.1 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 24 hr. Retreatment interval 1 day. Do not exceed 0.48 lb ai of lambda-cyhalothrin or 0.2 lb ai of chlorantraniliprole per acre per growing season.
- Chromobacterium subtsugae (Grandevo) at 0.3 to 0.9 lb ai/a per 100 gal. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic production.
- cyfluthrin (Tombstone) at 0.025 to 0.044 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 7 days. Do not exceed 0.44 lb/a per season.
- esfenvalerate (Asana XL) at 0.015 to 0.03 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.5 lb ai/a per year. Do not apply within 25 ft of an aquatic habitat, 150 ft if applied by air.
- gamma-cyhalothrin (Declare) at 0.0025 lb ai/1,000 row ft at planting or 0.01 to 0.015 lb ai/a foliar application. PHI 1 day. Do not exceed 0.24 lb ai/a total application per season.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Warrior II) at 0.02 to 0.03 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 24 hr. Do not exceed 0.48 lb ai/a per year. Do not harvest for feed or graze livestock for 21 days. Retreatment interval 4 days.
- lambda-cyhalothrin/tebuconazole (Crossover) at 0.14 to 0.16 lb ai/a. REI 19 days. PHI 21 days for ears & forage; 49 days for fodder. Do not exceed 0.48 lb ai/a tebuconazole or 0.12 lb ai/a lambda-cyhalothrin.
- methoxyfenozide (Troubadour 2F) at 0.06 to 0.25 lb ai/a. PHI 3 days for ears or forage; 21 days for dry fodder. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 1 lb ai/a per season. An adjuvant improves performance. Retreatment interval 4 days.
- spinetoram (Radiant SC) at 0.023 to 0.047 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day for ears, 3 days for forage. REI 4 hr. Retreatment interval 4 days. Do not exceed six applications or 0.281 lb ai/a per season. Follow resistance management procedures on the label.
- spinosad (Success, Entrust SC) at 0.047 to 0.094 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day for ears, 7 days for forage. REI 4 hr. Treat eggs at hatch and small larvae. Do not exceed 0.45 lb ai/a per crop. Spinosad takes several days to achieve full effect. Monitor fields and pest populations carefully. Multiple applications may be necessary. Entrust SC is OMRI-listed for organic use.