Includes bean aphid (Aphis fabae)
Pest description and crop damage The bean aphid is dark olive green to black with light-color legs. It is usually more of an early-year pest. Aphids damage plants by sucking plant sap, which causes heavily infested leaves to curl and stunts plants; excreting honeydew, which causes sticky, shiny leaves to turn black because of a sooty-mold fungus growth; and spreading plant diseases. Infestations frequently are localized; heavily infested leaves curl down.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
Apply to both tops and undersides of leaves.
- azadirachtin (neem extract)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- kaolin-Applied as a spray to foliage, it acts as a repellent to some insect pests. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- plant essential oils (rosemary, etc.)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- Burkhoderia spp. (Venerate XC) at 4 to 8 pints/a. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr.
- imidacloprid (Admire) at 0.16 to 0.38 lb ai/a soil or 0.047 lb ai/a foliar. PHI 21 days soil; 7 days foliar. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.38 lb ai/a soil or 0.24 lb ai/a foliar per season.
- imidacloprid (Provado, Prey) at 0.047 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 5 days. Do not exceed 0.24 lb ai/a per season.
- insecticidal soap (M-Pede) at 1% to 2% solution. See label for gal/a. PHI 0 days. REI 12 hr.
- malathion (Malathion 8) at 1 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 3 days. Limit 5 treatments.
- pyrifluquinazon (PQZ Insecticide) at 0.035 to 0.047 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 12 hr. Limit 6 treatments. Retreatment interval 7 days. Do not exceed 0.21 lb ai/a per year. Apply by ground equipment. Fields must be drained prior to application.
- tolenpyrad (Torac) at 0.17 to 0.21 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 14 days. Limit 4 treatments per year. Do not exceed 0.42 lb ai/a per year.