Black cutworm (Agotis ipsilon)
Variegated cutworm (Peridroma saucia)
Pest description, crop damage and life history
Weed control is important. Lambsquarters and wild mustard attract egg-laying females and provide a source of food for larvae. Fall tillage can help destroy overwintering pupae.
Home gardeners: Control weeds, grasses, and debris in the vegetable garden that provide cover; hand-pick cutworm larvae, using a flashlight to find them, if practical. Scratch the soil at the base of plants to find larvae in the daytime.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
Apply any one of these materials to the soil surface at first sign of cutworm activity. Consult label. Minimum preharvest interval (PHI) varies with crop. Difficult to control. Where cutworms are on the soil surface, a carbaryl drench (when bees are not present) may help.
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (often as a mix with zeta-cypermethrin)
- plant-derived essential oils (such as rosemary)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- alpha-cypermethrin (Fastac EC) at 0.008 to 0.025 lb ai/A. PHI 1 day. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 4 days. Do not exceed 0.075 lb ai/A per season.
- Bacillus thuringiensis (Javelin) at 0.12 to 1.5 lb/A. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Acts slowly; may need multiple applications. Add an appropriate spreader-sticker to enhance control. Most effective on small larvae. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (Brigade 2EC) at 0.08 to 0.1 lb ai/A. PHI 21 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 7 days. Do not exceed 0.5 lb ai/A per season.
- bifenthrin/Avermectin (Athena) at 0.05 to 0.12 lb ai/A. PHI 21 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 21 days. Do not exceed 0.5 lb ai/A per year of bifenthrin.
- carbaryl (Sevin 4F, Sevin 5 Bait) at 1 to 2 lb ai/A foliar and 2 lb bait/A. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 7 days. Do not exceed 6 lb ai/A per season. Limit 3 treatments per season.
- deltamethrin (Delta Gold) at 0.012 to 0.028 lb ai/A. PHI 3 days. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.14 lb ai/A per season. Retreatment interval 3 days.
- methoxyfenozide (Intrepid 2F) at 0.12 to 0.25 lb ai/A. PHI 1 day. REI 4 hr. Retreatment interval 14 days. Do not exceed 1 lb ai/A per season.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang) at 0.016 to 0.05 lb ai/A. PHI 1 day. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.3 lb ai/A per year.