Primarily Onychiurus pseudarmatus
Pest description and crop damage Small, white, slow-moving, soil-dwelling insects that feed on germinating seeds or roots of small plants, causing reduced stands and loss of vigor in surviving plants. They usually are in localized or irregular spots in the field.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- insecticidal soap-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- carbaryl (Sevin 4F) at 1 to 2 lb ai/a. PHI 14 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 7 days. Limit 5 treatments per year. Do not exceed 6 lb ai/a per season.
- malathion (Gowan Malathion 8) at 1 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Washington and Oregon only. Limit 2 treatments.