Corn thrips (Frankliniella williamsi)
Western flower thrips (Frankliniella occidentalis)
Pest description, crop damage and life history
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (usually as a mix with zeta-cypermethrin).
- horticultural oil-Some formulations OMRI-listed for organic use.
- insecticidal soap-Some formulations OMRI-listed for organic use.
- kaolin-Applied as a spray to leaves, stems, and fruit, it acts as a repellant to some insect pests. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- mineral oil-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins (often combined with other ingredients)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- spinosad-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- clothianidin (Poncho 600) at 0.25 to 0.5 mg ai/kernel seed treatment. Not for use in hopper-box, slurry-box or similar types. Use in liquid or slurry treaters.
- Chromobacterium subtsugae (Grandevo) at 0.6 to 0.9 lb ai/a per 100 gal. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic production.
- Isaria fumosorosea (PFR-97 20% WDG) at 1 to 2 lb of product per acre. REI 4 hr. Retreatment interval 3 to 10 days. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Warrior II) at 0.015 to 0.025 lb ai/a. Harvest, feed and application restrictions; See label. PHI 1 day. REI 24 hr. Do not exceed 0.48 lb ai/a per year. Do not apply within 25 ft of an aquatic habitat, 150 ft if applied by air.
- malathion (Drexel Malathion 5EC) at 1.0 lb ai/a. PHI 5 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 5 days. Limit 2 treatments per year.
- methomyl (Lannate SP) at 0.23 to 0.45 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days for ears, 3 days for forage, and 21 days for stover. REI 48 hr. Do not exceed 6.3 lb ai/a per season.
- spinosad (Success, Entrust SC) at 0.0625 to 0.156 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day for ears, 7 days for forage. REI 4 hr. Treat eggs at hatch and small larvae. Do not exceed 0.45 lb ai/a per crop. Spinosad takes several days to achieve full effect. Monitor fields and pest populations carefully. Multiple applications may be necessary. Entrust SC is OMRI-listed for organic use.