Corn thrips (Frankliniella williamsi)
Western flower thrips (Frankliniella occidentalis)
Pest description, crop damage and life history
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Beauvaria bassiana-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- insecticidal soap-Some formulations OMRI-listed for organic use.
- kaolin-Applied as a spray to leaves, stems, and fruit, it acts as a repellant to some insect pests. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- mineral oil-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins (often combined with other ingredients)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- spinosad-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- clothianidin (Poncho 600) at 0.25 to 0.5 mg ai/kernel seed treatment. Not for use in hopper-box, slurry-box or similar types. Use in liquid or slurry treaters.
- Chromobacterium subtsugae (Grandevo) at 0.6 to 0.9 lb ai/a per 100 gal. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic production.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Warrior II) at 0.015 to 0.025 lb ai/a. Harvest, feed and application restrictions; See label. PHI 1 day. REI 24 hr. Do not exceed 0.48 lb ai/a per year. Do not apply within 25 ft of an aquatic habitat, 150 ft if applied by air. Toxic to fish.
- malathion (Drexel Malathion 5EC) at 1.0 lb ai/a. PHI 5 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 5 days. Limit 2 treatments per year.
- methomyl (Lannate SP) at 0.23 to 0.45 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days for ears, 3 days for forage, and 21 days for stover. REI 48 hr. Do not exceed 6.3 lb ai/a per season.
- oxydemeton methyl (MSR Spray Concentrate) at 0.375 to 0.5 lb ai. PHI 26 days. REI 13 days. Retreatment interval 7 days. Do not exceed two applications per year.
- spinosad (Success, Entrust SC) at 0.0625 to 0.156 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day for ears, 7 days for forage. REI 4 hr. Treat eggs at hatch and small larvae. Do not exceed 0.45 lb ai/a per crop. Spinosad takes several days to achieve full effect. Monitor fields and pest populations carefully. Multiple applications may be necessary. Entrust SC is OMRI-listed for organic use.
- terbufos (Counter 15G) at 0.056 to 0.075 lb ai/1,000 row ft. PHI 60 days for ears, 30 days for grazing or forage. REI 48 hr, or 72 hr if annual rainfall is less than 25 inches. Apply as band or in-furrow treatment at planting. Do not exceed 1.3 lb ai/a.
- thiamethoxam (Cruiser 5FS) at 0.125 to 0.80 mg per kernel (formulated product) planter box treatment, seed treatment.