Beet armyworm (Spodoptera exigua)
Bertha armyworm (Mamestra configurata)
Yellowstriped armyworm (Spodoptera praefica)
Black cutworm (Agotis ipsilon)
Variegated cutworm (Peridroma saucia)
Pest description and crop damage
Weed control is important. Lambsquarters and wild mustard attract egg-laying females and provide a source of food for larvae. Fall tillage can help destroy overwintering pupae.
Home gardeners: Control weeds, grasses, and debris in the vegetable garden that provide cover; hand-pick cutworm larvae, using a flashlight to find them, if practical. Scratch the soil at the base of plants to find larvae in the daytime.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- insecticidal soap-Some formulations OMRI-listed for organic use.
- kaolin-Applied as a spray to foliage and stems it acts as a repellent to some insect pests. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- plant-derived essential oils (peppermint, rosemary oil, etc.)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins (often combined with other ingredients)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
Apply any one of these materials to the soil surface at first sign of cutworm activity. Consult label. Minimum preharvest interval (PHI) varies with crop. Difficult to control. Where cutworms are on the soil surface, a carbaryl drench (when bees are not present) may help.
- Bacillus thuringiensis (Javelin) at 0.12 to 1.5 lb formulated product/a. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Add an appropriate spreader-sticker to enhance control. Spray and/or water mix should not exceed pH 8. Most effective on small larvae.
- Burkholderia spp. (Venerate XC) at 1 to 4 quarts/a product. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- carbaryl (Sevin 4F, Sevin 5 bait) at 1 to 2 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 12 hr. Repeat application no more than three times prior to harvest or five times per crop.
- chlorantraniliprole (Coragen) at 0.045 to 0.098 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 4 hr. Retreatment interval 3 days. Do not exceed 4 applications per crop or 0.2 lb ai/a per crop. Armyworms only.
- chlorpyrifos (Warhawk, Lorsban Advanced) at 0.45 to 1 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 24 hr. Do not exceed one preharvest treatment and two postharvest treatments per year.
- Chromobacterium subtsugae (Grandevo) at 0.6 to 0.9 lb ai/a per 100 gal. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- GS-omega/kappa-Hxtx-Hvla (Spear Biological Insecticide) at 0.8 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 2 lb ai/a per year. Armyworms only.
- methomyl (Lannate SP) at 0.45 to 0.9 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 48 hr. Do not exceed 4.5 lb ai/a per year. Do not exceed 8 applications per year.
- permethrin (Pounce 25WP, Ambush 25WP) at 0.05 to 0.1 lb ai/a. PHI 1 day. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.4 lb ai/a per year. Retreatment interval 7 days.