Pest description and crop damage Green-brown larvae up to 1 inch long feed on foliage and buds of fir, spruce, and Douglas-fir.
Apply May-June or when bud flush is at 90 to 95% and new growth is 0.75 to 1 inch. Pay particular attention to areas adjacent to infested forest. Two applications may be necessary.
- carbaryl (Sevin and others)-(Group 1)
- Chromobacterium subtugae (Grandevo)-OMRI-listed for organic production.
- esfenvalerate (Asana XL and others)-Restricted use pesticide. (Group 3)
- methoxyfenozide (Intrepid 2F)-(Group 18)
- spinosad (Blackhawk, Conserve, Entrust and others)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic production. (Group 5)
- tebufenozide (Confirm)-(Group 18)