Pest description and crop damage Appear as cottony or grayish mass on stems. They produce swelling at nodes and tips and are especially damaging to Fraser fir.
Apply to control crawler stage around bud break, usually mid-April to early May.
- bifenthrin (Brigade, OnyxPro, Sniper and others)-Restricted use pesticide. (Group 3)
- chlorpyrifos (Lorsban Advanced, Warhawk and others)-Restricted use pesticide. (Group 1)
- dinotefuran (Safari 20 SG)-Check registration status. (Group 4)
- esfenvalerate (Asana XL and others)-Restricted use. (Group 3)
- imidacloprid (Admire Pro, Prey 1.6 and others)-(Group 4)
- insecticidal soap/oil (M-Pede)
- spirotetramet (Ultor, Movento)-(Group 23)
- sucrose octanoate (SucraShield and others)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic production.
- thiamethoxam (Flagship 25 WG)-(Group 4)