Includes alfalfa looper (Autographa californica)
Pest description and crop damage The adult moth is grayish to light brown. Front wings have a characteristic teardrop mark. Mature larvae are about 1 inch long, light green, with pale heads. They move in a looping fashion.
- Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt)-See product labels for rates. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Add an appropriate spreader-sticker to enhance control. Most effective on small, actively feeding larvae. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- chlorantraniliprole (Coragen) at 0.045 to 0.098 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 0.2 lb ai or 4 applications per season.
- methoxyfenozide (Intrepid 2F) at 0.06 to 0.16 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days for hay; 0 days for forage; livestock can enter and graze on treated area immediately after application. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 0.5 lb ai/a/yr. Do not make more than one application per cutting.
- pyrethrins (Pyganic Crop Protection EC 5.0) at 0.032 to 0.05 lb/a. PHI 12 hr. REI 12 hr. OMRI listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins/piperonyl butoxide (EverGreen EC) at 0.008 to 0.050 lb ai/a. Do not make more than 10 applications per growing season. Do not re-apply within 3 days of last application. REI 12 hr.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang) at 0.028 to 0.05 lb ai/a. PHI 3 days cutting and grazing 7 days for seed. REI 12 hr. Do not apply more than 0.05 lb ai per cutting or 0.15 lb ai per season. Retreatment interval 7 days.