Includes several species, especially Melanoplus spp.
Pest description and crop damage Both young and adult grasshoppers damage by feeding on leaves.
- azadirachtin (Neemix 4.5 IGR) at 0.015 to 0.021 lb ai/a. REI 4 hr. PHI 0 days. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Beauveria bassiana GHA (Mycotrol ESO, BoteGHA ES) at 0.25 to 1 quart in 5 to 100 gal water/acre. Adjust water volume to ensure good coverage but avoid runoff. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- chlorantraniliprole (Coragen) at 0.026 to 0.065 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 0.2 lb ai or 4 applications per season.
- malathion ULV (Fyfanon ULV) at 0.61 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days. REI 12 hr. Limit 2 treatments per cutting. Retreatment interval 14 days.
- malathion (Drexel Malathion 5EC) at 1 to 1.25 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days. Limit 2 treatments per cutting. Retreatment interval 14 days. REI 12 hr.
- pyrethrins (PyGanic Crop Protection EC 5.0) at 0.032 to 0.05 lb/a. PHI 12 hr. REI 12 hr. OMRI listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins/piperonyl butoxide (EverGreen EC) at 0.008 to 0.050 lb ai/a. Do not make more than 10 applications per growing season. Do not re-apply within 3 days of last application. REI 12 hr.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang) at 0.035 to 0.05 lb ai/a. PHI 3 days cutting and grazing; 7 days for seed. REI 12 hr. Do not apply more than 0.05 lb ai per cutting or 0.15 lb ai per season. Retreatment interval 7 days.