Clover aphid (Nearctaphis bakeri)
Pea aphid (Acyrthosiphon pisum)
Pest description and crop damage Clover aphid can be serious on red clover in the PNW. The clover aphid is much smaller than the pea aphid, is yellow, and builds up in spring from a few overwintered aphids that are under stipules. Large numbers secrete copious honeydew. They usually infest red, alsike, and Ladino clover. Winged forms disperse in May and June.
- acetamiprid (Assail 30SG, Assail 70WP) at 0.047 to 0.075 lb ai/a. PHI 30-56 days, depending on product; check label. REI 12 hr. One application per season. Do not exceed 0.75 lb ai/a per year.
- azadirachtin (Neemix 4.5 IGR) at 0.015 to 0.021 lb ai/a. REI 4 hr. PHI 0 days. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Beauveria bassiana GHA (Mycotrol ESO, BoteGHA ES) at 0.25 to 1 quart in 5 to 100 gal water/acre. Adjust water volume to ensure good coverage but avoid runoff. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Chromobacterium subtsugae (Grandevo) at 2 to 3 lb product per 100 gal/acre. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- flupyradifurone (Sivanto 200SL) at 0.091 to 0.137 lb ai/a. PHI 14 days. Retreatment interval 10 days. Do not exceed 0.365 lb ai/a per season.
- malathion (Drexel Malathion 5EC) at 0.94 to 1.25 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days. Limit 2 treatments per cutting. Retreatment interval 14 days. REI 12 hr.
- pyrethrins/PBO (Pyganic Crop Protection EC 5.0) at 0.032 to 0.05 lb pyrethrins/a. PHI 12 hr. REI 12 hr. OMRI listed for organic use.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang) at 0.028 to 0.05 lb ai/a. PHI 3 days cutting and grazing; 7 days for seed. REI 12 hr. Do not apply more than 0.05 lb ai per cutting or 0.15 lb ai per season. Retreatment interval 7 days.