For pest description, crop damage, biology, life history, sampling and cultural management
Field research on chemical control of spotted wing drosophila continues under Washington and Oregon growing conditions. Currently, the best spray programs start as the fruit begins to show color and continue every 7 to 10 days through harvest. It is recommended that applicators note the preharvest interval (PHI) for the chemical product selected. This program can be adjusted to start at first fly catch in a number of commercially-available traps designed specifically for spotted wing drosophila.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- acetamiprid-In field tests, this product has provided inconsistent control of SWD.
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-This product has been shown to provide about 25% control of SWD. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- kaolin-Applied as a spray to leaves, stems, and fruit, it acts as a repellant to some insect pests. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins-These products provide about 80% control of SWD but have no residual activity. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- spinosad-This product generally provides 100% control and 5-7 days residual activity. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- diazinon (Diazinon 50W) at 3 to 4 lb/a. REI 4 days. PHI 21 days. Do not exceed one in-season foliar application per growing season.
- diazinon (Diazinon AG500) at 4 pints/a + horticultural mineral oil (rates vary; check product label). REI 4 days. PHI 21 days. Do not exceed one in-season foliar application of diazinon per growing season. Flowable formulations are preferred when used in combination with oil.
- imidacloprid (Provado 1.6 F) at 4 to 8 fl oz/a. REI 12 hr. PHI 7 days.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Warrior II) at 1.28 to 2.56 fl oz/a. REI 24 hr. PHI 14 days. May disrupt beneficial mite populations. Extremely toxic to fish; avoid spray drift and surface runoff.
- phosmet (Imidan 70W) at 1.5 to 3 lb/a. REI 7 days. PHI 7days.
- spinetoram (Delegate WG) at 4.5 to 7 oz/a. REI 4 hr. PHI 7 days. Apply at least 1 week apart, with a maximum four applications per season.
- Entrust SC at 1.25 to 2.5 oz/a. REI 4 hr. PHI 7 days. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Success 2F at 4 to 8 fl oz/a. REI 4 hr. PHI 7 days. May act slowly.