Use of sanitary and manure management programs will reduce the need for insecticide applications. Reduce fly breeding sites by cleaning up feed spills, removing manure and used litter regularly, reducing moisture in manure storage and repairing water leaks.
Note: Most of the products listed here cannot be used in areas where food animals are present. Check label for restrictions.
- azadirachtin (Ecozin Plus 1.2%) at 1.25 oz per 1,000 sq ft diluted in 20 to 40 gal water. Direct a coarse spray on fly and beetle breeding sites. Apply weekly during fly-breeding season. Add a spray oil or surfactant to enhance penetration into manure and refuse piles. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- beta cyfluthrin (Tempo Ultra) at 8 ml/gal of water (0.025% solution). See label for mixing instructions. Do not apply where animals are present.
- bifenthrin (Talstar)-Use as a surface spray at 0.33 to 1 fl oz/1,000 sq ft for unoccupied areas. Treatment may be made to cracks and crevices where birds are present, see label for restrictions.
- ddvp (Vapona 40.2% [WA])-Spray at 1 gal/100 gal water. Apply as a mist spray or as a coarse, wet spray. Do not contaminate water, feed, milk or milking utensils. (Vapona 400E [OR])-Use a 0.5% spray solution by mixing 1 pint of this product with 12 gal water. Apply to building surfaces as a coarse, wet spray at the rate of 1 quart per 1,000 sq ft. Do not contaminate water, feed, milk or milking utensils.
- ddvp treated plastic strips (Nuvan Prostrips, Prostrips+)-Hang strips out of reach of animals. See label for usage restrictions. One strip treats 900-1200 cu ft. Replace every 4 months or as needed.
- dinotefuran bait (QuikStrike)-Apply as scatter bait or in bait stations. Scatter bait not for use in areas where animals are present. Place bait stations out of reach of animals. See label for restrictions.
- essential plant oils (Essentria IC3) at 1 to 3 fl oz per gal mineral oil. Apply 1 gal diluted spray per 500 to 1,000 sq ft where pests rest or congregate.
- fenvalerate (Onslaught)-0.5 to 1 fl oz/gal to treat 1,000 sq ft. Apply as a surface spray, crack and crevice treatment, spot treatment. Remove animals before spraying and do not allow them back in treated area until spray has dried.
- gamma-cyhalothrin (Standguard)-0.16 to 0.33 fl oz/gal of water. 1 gal dilution to treat 500 to 1,000 sq ft. Apply as a general surface and/or crack and crevice spray. Do not apply in areas where birds are present. See label for restrictions.
- imidacloprid/Z-9-tricosene (MaxForce) fly spot bait-Use at 5.7 to 6.3 oz per 1,000 sq ft in bait stations. Reapply every 7 days as needed. Do not place in areas accessible to animals.
- imidacloprid/Z-9-tricosene (MaxForce) fly spot bait-Apply at 16 oz/gal to surfaces where flies aggregate. Re-apply as needed, but not before 7 days. Spray places that are out of reach of animals.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Grenade ER) at 0.015 to 0.03% ai/gal (0.2 to 0.4 fl oz/gal). For unoccupied areas of poultry houses. Allow surfaces to dry before introducing animals. Follow manufacturer's directions.
- permethrin/piperonyl butoxide (1% ready to use)-Apply directly to surfaces where flies crawl or rest.
- permethrin spray at 0.1 lb ai/12.5 gal water. Apply as surface treatment to walls and ceilings, 1 gal dilute spray per 750 sq ft. Do not apply this dilution to animals. Avoid contamination of feed and water during treatment. Do not treat litter.
- pyrethrins/piperonyl butoxide (Evergreen 60-6)-Allowable use as a space spray in houses where birds are not present. Follow manufacturer's directions.
- pyriproxyfen (NyGuard)-As a surface spray, apply at 1 fl oz diluted in water to cover 1,500 sq ft. As a fogger, 1.5 fl oz diluted in carrier to treat 12,000 cu ft. Not for use in areas where animals are present. Do not contaminate food or water.
- spinosad bait (Elector)-Use as a scatter bait, in bait stations, or as a paint-on or spray-on. Only for areas inaccessible to birds.