Under ordinary conditions, using insecticides in the milk room is unnecessary if flies are controlled effectively in other areas of the dairy. Also, use of sanitation and manure management programs will reduce the need for insecticide applications. Reduce fly breeding sites by cleaning up feed spills, removing manure and used bedding regularly, reducing moisture in manure storage and repairing water leaks.
Note: Most of the products listed here cannot be used in areas where food animals are present. Check label for restrictions.
- azadirachtin (Ecozin Plus 1.2%) at 1.25 oz per 1,000 sq ft diluted in 20 to 40 gal water. Direct a coarse spray on fly and beetle breeding sites. Apply weekly during fly breeding season. Add a spray oil or surfactant to enhance penetration into manure and refuse piles. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- beta cyfluthrin (Tempo Ultra) at 8 ml/gal of water (0.025% solution). Use as general surface, spot, mist or crack and crevice treatment.
- bifenthrin (Talstar)-Use as a surface spray at 0.33 to 1 fl oz/1,000 sq ft for unoccupied areas. Treatment may be made to cracks and crevices where animals are present, see label for restrictions.
- cyfluthrin (Cy-Kick) at 1 fl oz/gal water (0.05% solution). Apply as a general surface treatment where flies collect or rest. Do not apply while animals are present.
- ddvp (Vapona 40.2% [WA]) spray at 1 gal/100 gal water. Apply as a mist spray or as a coarse, wet spray. Do not contaminate water, feed, milk or milking utensils. (Vapona 400E [OR]) Use a 0.5% spray solution by mixing 1 pint of this product with 12 gal water. Apply to building surfaces as a coarse, wet spray at the rate of 1 qt per 1,000 sq ft. Do not contaminate water, feed, milk or milking utensils.
- ddvp (Nuvan Prostrips, Prostrips+)-Hang strips out of reach of animals. See label for usage restrictions. One strip treats 100-200 cu ft. Replace every 4 months or as needed.
- deltamethrin (D-Fense SC) at 0.75 to 1.5 fl oz/gal of water. Use as general surface, spot, mist or crack and crevice treatment. Do not spray where or when animals are present.
- dinotefuran bait (QuikStrike)-Apply as scatter bait or in bait stations. Scatter bait not for use in areas where animals are present. Place bait stations out of reach of animals. See label for restrictions.
- essential plant oils (Essentria IC3) at 1 to 3 fl oz per gal mineral oil. Apply 1 gal diluted spray per 500-1,000 sq ft where pests rest or congregate.
- esfenvalerate (FenvaStar EcoCap) at 1 fl oz/gallon to treat 1,000 sq ft. Apply as a surface spray, crack and crevice treatment, spot treatment. Remove animals before spraying and do not allow them back in treated area until spray has dried.
- fenvalerate (Onslaught) at 0.5 to 1 fl oz/gallon to treat 1,000 sq ft. Apply as a surface spray, crack and crevice treatment, spot treatment. Remove animals before spraying and do not allow them back in treated area until spray has dried.
- imidacloprid/Z-9-tricosene (MaxForce) fly spot bait-Use at 5.7 to 6.3 oz per 1,000 sq ft in bait stations. Reapply every 7 days as needed. Do not place in areas accessible to animals.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Grenade ER) at 0.015 to 0.036% ai (0.2 to 0.8 fl oz/gal). For unoccupied areas of livestock barns. Do not apply to milk rooms or feed rooms. Allow surfaces to dry before introducing livestock.
- nithiazine (QuikStrike) fly abatement strip-Attach to flat surface out of reach of animals.
- permethrin/piperonyl butoxide (1% ready to use)-Apply directly to surfaces where flies crawl or rest. Re-treat as needed but not more than once every 2 weeks.
- permethrin spray at 0.1 lb ai/12.5 gal water. Apply as surface treatment to walls and ceilings, 1 gal dilute spray per 750 sq ft. Remove animals and avoid contamination of feed and water during treatment. Do not treat manure.
- pyrethrins/piperonyl butoxide (EverGreen EC 60-6)-Allowable use as a fine mist space spray (2 fl oz/gal) in poultry houses but birds should be removed first. Use as a surface spray (1 part product to 59 parts water) in houses not occupied by poultry. Follow manufacturer's directions.
- pyriproxyfen (NyGuard)-As a surface spray, apply at 1 fl oz diluted in water to cover 1,500 sq ft. As a fogger, 1.5 fl oz diluted in carrier to treat 12,000 cu ft. Not for use in areas where animals are present. Do not contaminate food or water.
- spinosad bait (Elector)-Use as a scatter bait, in bait stations, or as a paint-on or spray-on. Not for use in milk rooms. Only for areas inaccessible to animals.