Alfalfa looper (Autographa californica)
Cabbage looper (Trichoplusia ni)
Variegated cutworm (Peridroma saucia)
Western yellowstriped armyworm (Spodoptera praefica)
Pest description and crop damage Cutworms are usually dull gray, brown, or black, and may be striped or spotted. They often curl up when disturbed. They usually feed at night, cutting off young plants or feeding on foliage of older plants. They are a pest primarily of alfalfa and clovers but attack other legumes also. Cutworms don't often seriously damage field peas.
- alpha-cypermethrin (Fastac EC) at 0.008 to 0.025 lb ai/a. PHI 21 days. REI 4 hr. Retreatment interval 5 days.
- beta-cyfluthrin (Baythroid XL) at 0.019 to 0.025 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 14 days. Do not exceed 0.05 lb ai/a per season.
- Bacillus thuringiensis (Javelin) 0.25 (WA) and 0.12 (OR) to 1.5 lb/a. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic production.
- bifenthrin/imidacloprid (Brigadier) at 0.088 lb ai/a. PHI 14 days. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.044 lb ai/a imidacloprid, 0.044 lb ai/a bifenthrin. Retreatment interval 7 days.
- chlorantraniliprole/lambda-cyhalothrin (Besiege) at 0.058 to 0.088 lb ai/a. PHI 21 days. REI 24 hr. Do not exceed 0.12 lb ai/a lambda-cyhalothirn or 0.2 lb ai/a of clorantraniliprole per acre per year.
- cyfluthrin (Tombstone) at 0.038 to 0.05 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 14 days. Do not exceed 0.1 lb ai/a per year.
- gamma-cyhalothrin (Declare) at 0.01 to 0.015 lb ai/a. PHI 21 days. REI 24 hr. Do not exceed 0.06 lb ai/a per season.
- methoxyfenozide (Intrepid 2F) at 0.06 to 0.12 lb ai/a early season, 0.12 to 0.25 lb ai/a mid to late season. PHI 7 days. REI 4 hr. Retreatment interval 7 days. Do not exceed 1 lb ai/a per season.
- spinetoram (Radiant SC) at 0.031 to 0.062 lb ai/a. PHI 28 days. REI 4 hr. Retreatment interval 4 days. Do not exceed 0.094 lb ai/a per year. Limit 6 treatments.
- spinosad (Success, Entrust SC) at 0.0613 to 0.092 lb ai/a. PHI 28 days. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 0.188 lb ai/a per season. Do not feed forage or hay to meat or dairy animals. Limit 6 treatments. Entrust SC is OMRI-listed for organic production.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang - 17.5% ai) at 0.05 lb ai/a soil at-plant. PHI 21 days. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 0.3 lb ai/a per season.