Pest description and crop damage Stink bugs are primarily seed feeders, so they are usually inconsequential pests except in sugar beet seed fields.
Scouting and thresholds No formal action thresholds exist for stink bug insecticide treatment decisions.
- Beauveria bassiana (BotaniGard ES, Mycotrol ESO, Mycotrol O - live spores of an insect-killing fungus)-See label for rates. PHI 0 days. Typically requires 7 to 10 days after first spray to see control. Begin treatment at first appearance of pest. Reapply as necessary.
- azadirachtin -Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- (Aza-Direct) at 0.0123 to 0.0247 lb ai/a and-under extremely heavy pest infestation-up to 0.0432 lb ai/a.
- (Ecozin Plus) at 0.012 to 0.023 lb ai/acre. Spray nymphs early and repeat application after 7 days.
- azadirachtin/pyrethrins (Azera) at 0.0125 to 0.025 lb ai/a, and up to 0.044 lb ai/a under extremely heavy infestation. Dilution in a minimum of 30 gal of water per acre is recommended for conventional equipment. May be applied by air at the rate of 0.0125 to 0.025 lb ai/a in a minimum of 25 gal of water. Do not repeat more than every 5 to 7 days. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins (Lynx EC 1.4, Lynx EC 5.0, PyGanic EC 1.4, Tersus)-See label for rates. REI 12 hr. PHI 0 days. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins/Beauveria bassiana (BotaniGard Maxx, and Xpectro OD)-See label for rates. Do not reapply for at least 3 days. In case of extreme pest pressure, wait a minimum of 24 hr before reapplying. Do not harvest until spray has dried.
- pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide (Evergreen Crop Protection EC 60-6, Pyrenone, Pyronyl Crop Spray, and others)-See label for rates.