Pest description and crop damage Pale green to red-brown sap-sucking bugs, 0.25 inch long when mature; the wings of adults fold flat over the back producing a light-color, V-shaped mark behind the thorax. Lygus bugs are primarily seed feeders, so usually they are inconsequential pests except in sugar beet seed fields.
Scouting and thresholds No formal economic thresholds exist for lygus bug insecticide treatment decisions in sugar beets.
- Beauveria bassiana (BotaniGard ES, Mycotrol ESO, Mycotrol O - live spores of an insect-killing fungus; various strains)-See label for rates. PHI 0 days. Typically requires 7 to 10 days after first spray to see control. Begin treatment at first appearance of pest. Reapply as necessary.
- azadirachtin-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- (Aza-Direct) at 0.0123 to 0.0247 lb ai/a and up to 0.0432 lb ai/a under extremely heavy pest infestation.
- (Debug Trés) at 0.0375 to 0.1054 lb ai/a
- (Ecozin Plus) at 0.012 to 0.023 lb ai/acre. Spray nymphs early and repeat application after 7 days.
- azadirachtin/pyrethrins (Azera, Azera Pro) at 0.0125 to 0.025 lb ai/a, and up to 0.044 lb ai/a under extremely heavy infestation. Dilution in a minimum of 30 gal of water per acre is recommended for conventional equipment. May be applied by air at the rate of 0.0125 to 0.025 lb ai/a in a minimum of 25 gal of water. Do not repeat more than every 5 to 7 days. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- chlorpyrifos (Eraser, Govern 4E, Lorsban 4E, Lorsban 75WG, Nufos 4E, Pilot 4E, Warhawk, Whirlwind, Yuma 4E, and others) at 0.5 lb ai/a broadcast postemergence -or- Lorsban Advanced, Vulcan at 0.469 lb ai/a broadcast application postemergence. PHI 30 days. Do not let livestock graze in treated areas or harvest treated beet tops as feed for meat or dairy animals within 30 days after last treatment. Do not apply more than 3 lb ai/a or more than three times per season. RESTRICTED USE IN OREGON.
- chlorpyrifos/zeta-cypermethrin (Stallion Brand) at 0.278 lb ai/a as post emergence broadcast or banded foliar spray. Do not apply as an in-furrow treatment. PHI 50 days. REI 24 hr. Do not allow livestock to graze in treated areas or harvest treated beet tops as feed for meat or dairy animals within 50 days after last treatment. RESTRICTED USE IN OREGON.
- kaolin-For suppression only. Product forms a barrier film that acts as a protectant; apply before infestations develop and continue on a 7- to 14-day schedule for the duration of the infestation.
- (Surround CF) at 5.94 to 11.88 lb ai/a
- (Actimin FE) at 6.25 to 12.5 lb ai/a.
- naled (Dibrom 8 Emulsive) at 0.94 lb ai/a. PHI 2 days. REI 48 hr. Recommendation as permitted under FIFRA Section 2(ee). Do not apply more than 4.7 lb ai/a per season.
- neem oil (Terraneem EC and Ecoworks EC)-See label for rates. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins (Lynx EC 1.4, Lynx EC 5.0, PyGanic EC 1.4, Tersus)-See label for rates. PHI 0 days. REI 12 hr. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins/Beauveria bassiana (BotaniGard Maxx, Xpectro OD)-See label for rates. Do not reapply for at least 3 days. In case of extreme pest pressure, wait a minimum of 24 hr before reapplying. Do not harvest until spray has dried.
- pyrethrins and piperonyl butoxide (Evergreen Crop Protection EC 60-6, Pyrenone, Pyronyl Crop Spray, and others)-See label for rates.
- (Mustang) at 0.028 to 0.05 lb ai/a. PHI 50 days. Do not apply more than 0.15 lb ai/a per season (at planting/foliar applications). Apply with ground or air equipment using enough water to fully cover foliage.
- (Mustang Maxx) at 0.014 to 0.025 lb ai/a. PHI 50 days for tops or roots. Do not apply more than 0.075 lb ai/a per season. REI 12 hr. Apply by air or ground using minimum of 2 gal per acre by air and 10 gal per acre by ground.