Phyllotreta cruciferae and P. striolata
Pest description and crop damage Adults are blue-black jumping beetles. They attack seedlings, damaging apical meristem, reducing stand, and deforming plants. Larvae feed on roots. Adult beetles are the damaging stage. They also can attack developing pods, resulting in shatter loss of seed. Insecticidal seed treatments are necessary at planting time to control flea beetles because of the difficulty in predicting their populations. A foliar application of insecticide may still be required should adult activity continue and reach threshold after the seed treatments are no longer effective.
Management-chemical control (Foliar Treatment)
- azadirachtin (AzaGuard) Spray 8 to 16 oz when pests first appear. Repeat application every 7 to 10 days. Use in combination with 0.25 to 1.0% non-phytotoxic crop oil in sufficient water to cover undersides of leaves. OMRI-listed for organic use. Do not add additional surfactants to tank mixes containing this product.
- Beauveria bassiana GHA (Mycotrol ESO) at 0.50 to 1 quart/100 gal of spray volume. Apply at 5- to 10-day intervals. High insect populations may require 2- to 5-day intervals. This product may be applied up to the day of harvest. REI 4 hr. Mycotrol ESO contains live spores of the naturally occurring fungus Beauveria bassiana Strain GHA. Spores are alive and may be harmed by storage at high temperatures or contact with water for more than 24 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (Bifenture EC Agricultural Insecticide, others) at 0.033 to 0.04 lb ai/A or 2.1 to 2.6 fl oz/A. Do not exceed 0.08 lb. ai per acre per season. Apply minimum 10 gal/A by ground or 2 gal minimum by air. Do not apply within 35 days of harvest. Do not apply less than 14 days apart.
- bifenthrin; zeta-cypermethrin (Hero Insecticide, others) at 2.6 to 5.5 oz per acre. Do not exceed 5.5 oz per application. Do not apply more than 11 oz of product per season. Do not apply within 35 days of harvest. Do not make applications less than 14 days apart. Apply at a minimum of 10 gal water by ground and 2 gal by air.
- chlorantraniliprole; lamda-cyhalothrin (Besiege, others) at 5 to 10 fl oz/A. Do not exceed a total of 28 fl oz of Besiege or 0.09 lb ai of lambda-cyhalothrin-containing products or 0.2 lb ai of chlorantraniliprole-containing products per acre per year. PHI 21 days. Minimum interval between applications is 5 days. Apply in a minimum of 2 GPA water by air or 10 GPA by ground. If adjuvants are used, use only a non-ionic surfactant (NIS).
- cyantraniliprole (Exirel) at 0.045 to 0.11 lb ai/A or 7 to 17 fluid oz/A. Minimum application interval between treatments is 7 days. Do not apply a total of more than 0.4 lb ai/A per calendar year.
- gamma-cyhalothrin (Declare) at 0.77 to 1.54 fl oz/A or 0.0075 to 0.015 lb ai/A. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 0.045 lb ai per acre per season. When applying by air, apply a minimum of 2 gal water per acre.
- deltamethrin (Delta Gold) at 0.009 lb ai/A or 0.8 fl oz/A. Do not apply more than 1.5 fl oz of Delta Gold per acre on canola in one growing season. Allow 7 days between applications. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest. When applying by air, apply a minimum of 2 gal water per acre and 5 gal of water by ground.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Lamcap II) at 0.015 to 0.03 lb ai/A or 0.96 to 1.92 fl oz/A. Do not apply more than 0.09 lb ai (5.75 fl oz or 0.36 pints of product) per acre per year. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang) at 4.3 fl. oz/A or 0.05 lb ai/A. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 25.8 oz of product or 0.3 lb of active ingredient per acre per season. Do not make applications less than 7 days apart.
Management-chemical control (Seed Treatment)
- clothianidin (Poncho 600, others). Seed treatment. Apply at 3.84 fl oz/100 lb seed for low-to-moderate insect pressure, 5.12 fl oz/100 lb seed for moderate pressure and 10.23 fl oz/100 lb seed under high-to-extreme insect pressure. Do not apply more than 0.2 lb of active ingredient clothianidin per acre per year.
- cyantraniliprole (Fortenza) at a rate of 7.7 fl oz or 0.30 lb ai per 100 lb seed. Recommended to tank mix with HeliXtra® and Vibrance® seed treatment products. Do not apply more than 0.4. lb ai cyantraniliprole-containing products per acre per calendar year including all types of application (seed treatment, soil, or foliar).
- imidacloprid (Dyna-Shield Imidacloprid 5) at 10.24 to 25.6 fl oz per hundredweight of seed. In areas where foliar insects are in high numbers, the higher application rate is recommended. Do not graze for feed
- thiamethoxam, difenoconazole, mefenoxam, fludioxonil and sedaxane (Helix Vibrance)-Apply at 23.0 fl oz per 100 lb of seed. Do not graze for feed on treated areas for 45 days after planting.