Chicken body louse (Menacanthus stramineus)
Shaft louse (Menapon gallinae)
Chicken mite (Dermanyssus gallinae)
Northern fowl mite (Ornithonyssus sylviaum)
Scaly leg mite (Menapon gallinae)
For direct application to chicken, duck, goose, and turkey
- permethrin 0.25% dust (Prozap Insectrin Dust) at 1 lb per 100 birds. Thoroughly treat vent area.
- permethrin spray at 3 oz ai/50 gal water. Spray birds, cages, or nests. Spray 0.5 oz dilute spray per bird or 1 gal dilute, coarse spray per 100 birds. Thoroughly treat vent area.
- tetrachlorvinphos(Ravap EC)-1 gal/50 gal water. Apply 1 gal dilution per 100 birds using high pressure to vent areas. Use 1 oz spray per bird. Use 1 to 2 gal/1,000 sq ft of litter. Treat walls, roosts, cracks, and crevices. Retreatment interval 14 days.
- tetrachlorvinphos (Rabon 50WP) at 0.5% solution. Apply directly to birds using 1 gal spray mixture per 100 birds. Retreatment interval 14 days.
- tetrachlorvinphos 3% dust-For caged birds, apply 0.48 oz ai per 300 birds. Treat dust box at 0.96 oz ai per 100 birds.
For application to litter and housing
- cyromazine (Larvadex 2SL) at 0.1% finished spray. Apply finished spray at 1 gal/100 sq ft of area over surface of manure, and other sides. Retreatment interval 21 days.
- permethrin spray at 4 oz ai/36 gal water. Spray to runoff. Cover feed and water before spraying. Apply 3 oz ai/50 gal when spraying cages.
- spinosad (Elector PSP Premise Insect Control Agent) at 3 fl oz of product to 10 gal water. Remove or cover exposed food and water. Treat walls, roosts, cracks, and crevices. Do not use as a fog or space spray. Perimeter treatment will enhance control. Retreatment interval 14 days.
- tetrachlorvinphos (Ravap EC) roost paint-1 gal/25 gal water; use 1 gal spray per 100 sq ft of roost area. Apply as brush-on or spray. Use 1 to 2 gal/1,000 sq ft of litter. Treat walls, roosts, cracks, and crevices. Retreatment interval 14 days.
- tetrachlorvinphos (Rabon 50W) spray-50% WP at 4 lb/25 gal water. Paint brush or hand spray 1 pint/100 ft of roost. Stir occasionally and apply thoroughly. May also be dusted; refer to label.
- tetrachlorvinphos 3% dust-Apply to litter at 0.48 oz ai/100 sq ft. For roost paint, make a thick slurry by mixing 1 pint water with 0.48 oz ai dust per 100 linear ft.
For more information
Common Lice and Mites of Poultry: Identification and Treatment (http://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/pdf/8162.pdf)
Pest Management Recommendations for Poultry. https://extension.psu.edu/pest-management-recommendations-for-poultry