American dog tick (Dermacentor variabilis)
Pacific coast tick (Dermacentor occidentalis)
Western black legged tick (Ixodes pacificus)
Winter tick (Dermacentor albipictus)
Pest description and damage In some areas ticks are also a problem. Ticks feed on horses by sucking blood and animals can develop severe anemia. Ticks are usually found on the neck, between front and hind legs, under the jaw, and along ventral abdomen.
- coumaphos (emulsified) spray at 5 oz/4 gal. Apply to runoff. Repeat as necessary. Treat thoroughly all wounds and injuries. Do not apply to sick, convalescent, or stressed horses or to colts less than 3 months old. Do not apply with other medications or treatments or in stress situations. Do not allow contact with treated animals until their coats are dry. (RESTRICTED USE PESTICIDE: Acute Oral Hazard. For retail sale to and use only by certified applicators or persons under their direct supervision and only for those uses covered by the certification).
- coumaphos (flowable insecticide) spray at 0.5 to 1 gal/200 gal of water and mix thoroughly. Apply for complete wetting to run-off. Do not spray more than six times per year. Do not make applications less than 10 days apart. (RESTRICTED USE PESTICIDE: Acute Oral Hazard. For retail sale to and use only by certified applicators or persons under their direct supervision and only for those uses covered by the certification).
- coumaphos (Co-Ral Fly and Tick Spray) at 4 quarts/50 gal water or 10 oz/4 gal water. Apply to runoff. Treat thoroughly all wounds and injuries. Do not exceed six treatments per year. Allow at least 10 days between treatments.
- cypermethrin (0.15%) + pyrethrins (0.20%) + piperonyl butoxide (1.63%) + Di-n-propyl isocinchomeronate (0.50%) + butoxy polypropylene glycol (4.85%) (Endure Roll-on and Sweat-resistant fly spray)-Apply or wipe the entire body at a rate not to exceed 11 ounces per animal. Use a soft cloth to apply to face. Reapply every 5-7 days. As protection builds application can be done every 10-14 days. Do not use on horses intended for slaughter. Use only in well ventilated areas. Do not allow adults, children or pets to contact the treated surfaces until spray has dried.
- diflubenzuron (3.0%) + permethrin (5.0%) (Clean-up II Pour-on Insecticide with IGR)-Shake well before use. Apply at a rate of 3 ml/100 lb of body weight with a maximum of 30 ml per animal. Apply to legs, shoulders, neck, back and facial areas. Not for use in misting systems.
- permethrin 10% at 0.64 oz/1 gal water for normal infestations. Spray to thoroughly cover the entire animal.
- permethrin 10% at 1.28 oz/1 gal water for severe infestations. Spray to thoroughly cover the entire animal.
- permethrin spray at 0.75 oz ai/50 gal water. Spray to runoff or use 0.5 to 1 gal of spray mix per animal. For spot spray, increase rate to 0.75 oz ai/3 gal water and spray each animal with up to 0.5 pint of spray solution. Not for use in horses intended for human consumption.
- permethrin (7.4%) + piperonyl butoxide (7.4%) - Pour-on 8 to 16 ml to back and face being cautious of eyes. Pour-on to MATURE horses only. Wipe-on 8 to 16 ml using a damped applicators mitt or towel. Wipe-on can be applied to mature horses and foals. Repeat as needed, but not more than once every two weeks.
- permethrin (0.20 %) + pyrethrins (0.20 %) + piperonyl butoxide (0.50%) + N-Octyl bicycloheptene dicarboximide + Di-n-propyl Isocinchomeronate (1.00%) + butoxypolypropylene glycol (5.00%) (Equicare Flysect Super-7 Spray)-Apply to entire surface of horse avoiding the eyes, mouth and nose. Wait to dry before saddling horse. For initial treatment apply daily for 2-3 days. As infestation subsides, reapply every 5-10 days or as prescribed by a veterinarian. Consult a veterinarian before using on debilitated, aged, pregnant, nursing or animals on medication.
- permethrin (0.90%) + tetramethrin (0.25%) + pyrethrins (0.025%) + cypermethrin (0.10 %) + piperonyl butoxide (Absorbine Ultra Shield Red)-Apply as a spray or wipe at the rate of less than 2 ounces per horse. Spray or wipe entire body while avoiding the eyes, nose and mouth. Do not wet skin. Reapply every 7 days. Do not use on foals less than 3 months of age. Do not use on dogs or cats. Do not use on horses intended for human consumption.
- zeta-cypermethrin 0.075% dust-Apply up to 2 oz per animal evenly in the hair over the head, ears, neck, shoulders, back and tailhead. Do not apply more often than every 3 days. Never use on dogs or cats.