Pest description and crop damage Caterpillars vary in color when full grown: 1 to 2 inches long. They feed on foliage of older plants or cut off young plants at ground level. Larvae of both commonly feed on plants at night, hiding in or on the soil surface under leaf litter by day.
- azadirachtin (Neemix 4.5 IGR) at 4 to 10 fl oz product per acre. Consult label. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Bacillus thuringiensis (Biobit HP) at 0.5 to 1.5 lb/a. PHI 0 days. Armyworms only. Add an appropriate spreader-sticker to enhance control. Most effective on small, actively feeding larvae. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Beauveria bassiana GHA (Botanigard Maxx) at 0.5 to 2 qt/100 gal. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr.
- Chromobacterium subtsugae (Grandevo WDG) at 0.3 to 0.9 lb ai/a per 100 gal. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- chlorantraniliprole (Coragen) at 0.045 to 0.098 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 0.2 lb ai/a or 4 applications per season. Make one application per cutting.
- malathion (Drexel Malathion 5EC) at 0.625 to 1.25 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days. REI 12 hr. Armyworms only. Limit 2 treatments per cutting. Retreatment interval 14 days.
- methoxyfenozide (Intrepid 2F) at 0.06 to 0.16 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days graze, 7 days hay. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 0.5 lbs ai/a/yr. Limit one treatment per cutting.
- pyrethrins (Pyganic Crop Protection EC 5.0) at 0.032 to 0.05 lb/a. PHI 12 hr. REI 12 hr. OMRI listed for organic use.
- pyrethrins/piperonyl butoxide (EverGreen EC) at 0.008 to 0.05 lb ai/a. Do not make more than 10 applications per growing season. Do not re-apply within 3 days of last application. REI 12 hr.
- spinosad (Entrust SC) at 0.031 to 0.062 lb ai/a. PHI 0 days for forage; 3 days for hay or fodder. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 0.186 lb ai/a per season. Do not graze cattle until spray has dried. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Spodoptera frugiperda (Fawligen) at 1 to 1.6 fl oz product per acre. Refer to label.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang) at 0.028 to 0.05 lb ai/a. PHI 3 days for cutting or grazing, 7 days hay. REI 12 hr. Retreatment interval 7 days. Do not exceed 0.05 lb ai/a per cutting nor 0.15 lb ai/a/season.