Cause Pythium spp. and Rhizoctonia solani are soil-infesting microbes that can build up rapidly and attack young germinating seedlings when soil is moist.
Symptoms Stems are attacked as young plants emerge. Plants wilt, fall over, and die. Germinating seed also can be attacked, rotting plants before they reach the soil surface.
Cultural control Manage the crop to promote rapid and vigorous seedling growth.
- Use seed treatment.
- Acquire at 0.75 fl oz/100 lb seed plus a dye. For control of Pythium only. Do not apply to spinach to be grown in the greenhouse. 24-hr reentry.
- Allegiance-FL at 0.75 fl oz/100 lb seed plus a dye. Controls Pythium only. Do not apply to spinach to be grown in the greenhouse. See label for reentry restrictions.
- Apron XL at 0.085 to 0.64 fl oz/100 lb seed plus a dye. Controls Pythium only. Do not apply to spinach to be grown in the greenhouse. See label for reentry restrictions.
- Captan 4F at 6.6 fl oz/100 lb seed plus a dye.
- Dynasty at 0.1 to 0.38 fl oz/100 lb seed plus a dye. 4-hr reentry.
- Maxim 4FS at 0.08 to 0.16 fl oz/100 lb seed plus a dye. Controls pathogenic Rhizoctonia spp. See label for reentry restrictions.
- Mertect at 0.006 mg ai/seed plus a dye. To control pathogenic Fusarium spp.
- MetaStar 2E AG at 4 to 8 pints/A as a preplant or at planting treatment. Controls Pythium spp. 48-hr reentry.
- Orondis Gold (Group 40 + 4) at 13.9 to 27.8 fl oz/A as an in-furrow, transplant water or banded soil application at planting. May be applied through drip after emergence. Preharvest interval is 21 days. 48-hr reentry.
- 42-S Thiram at 8 fl oz/100 lb seed plus a dye. See label for reentry restrictions.
- Quadris Flowable at 0.4 to 0.8 fl oz/1000 row feet applied in a 7-inches or less band either in-furrow at planting or as a directed spray at cultivation. 4-hr reentry.
- Ridomil Gold SL at 1 to 2 pints/A preplant incorporated in top 2 inches of soil or as a soil spray at planting. Controls Pythium only. 48-hr reentry.
- Actinovate AG at 3 to 12 oz/A as a soil drench at planting. 1-hr reentry. O
- Actinovate Lawn & Garden at 0.5 to 1 teaspoon/gal water. H O
- Double Nickel LC at 0.5 to 4.5 pints/A for soil application on 14- to 28-day intervals. Can be applied the day of harvest. 4-hr reentry. O
- Mycostop at 0.07 oz/lb seed or Mycostop Mix at 0.05 to 0.08 oz/lb seed. 4-hr reentry. O
- Prestop as a soil drench or incorporation into growing medium. 4-hr reentry. O
- Rootshield Home and Garden at 1 to 3 Tbsp/gal water as a soil drench at planting. H O
- Rootshield WP at 3 to 5 oz/100 gal water for greenhouse soil drench and field chemigation or at 16 to 32 oz/A as an in-furrow spray. 0-hr reentry. O
- SoilGard 12G at 0.5 to 10 lb/A at 4-week intervals will suppress Pythium and Rhizoctonia. See label for specific application types and timings. Can be applied on the day of harvest. O