Ctenicera spp. and Limonius spp.
Pest description and crop damage Slender shiny brown to yellow grubs with hard bodies. Wireworms are the larvae of click beetles. Wireworms live in the soil where they may feed on corn seeds or the roots of young plants. Damage typically occurs during the early stages of crop development.
Warning: The following insecticides are hazardous to bees. Do not apply these products or allow them to drift to blooming crops if bees are visiting the treatment area.
- abamectin+thiamethoxam (Avicta Duo, other formulations of Avicta that also contain fungicides)-Only for use in certified seed treatment facilities. Applied as a slurry to corn seed. Consult label. (Groups 6 and 4A)
- beta-cyfluthrin (Baythroid XL) at 0.12 to 0.16 fl oz/1,000 row ft or 2.0 to 2.8 fl oz/A. Total mix volume should be applied in the open furrow ahead of the closing wheels. PHI 21 days. If crop residues are to be used for livestock, there is a 21 day PHI for fodder (stover). REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.088 lb ai/A per season. (Group 3A)
- bifenthrin (Bifenthrin 2EC, numerous products) at 0.0023 to 0.0046 lb ai/1,000 row ft at plant or 0.047 to 0.062 lb ai/A preplant. PHI 30 days. REI 12 hr. Highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment or residues on blooming crops or weeds. Extremely toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates. Do not exceed 0.1 lb ai/A at plant. (Group 3A)
- bifenthrin/chlorethoxyfos (Smart Choice 5G) at 4.5 to 5 oz/1,000 row ft. REI 48 hr. (Groups 3A and 1B)
- bifenthrin/indole-3-butyric acid (Empower II) at 0.002 to 0.006 lb ai/1,000 row ft. PHI 30 days. REI 24 hr. Do not exceed 0.1 lb ai/A at plant. Not for use on sweet corn seed. (Group 3A)
- cyfluthrin (Tombstone) at 0.12 to 0.16 fl oz/1,000 row ft or 2.0 to 2.8 fl oz/A. Total mix volume should be applied in the open furrow ahead of the closing wheels. If crop residue is to be used for livestock, there is a 21 day PHI for grain or fodder. REI 12 hr. Do not exceed 0.175 lb ai/A per season. (Group 3A)
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Warrior II, other products) at 0.005 lb ai/1,000 row ft. PHI 21 days. If crop residues are to be used for livestock, PHI is 1 day for grazing, 21 days for fodder (stover). REI 24 hr. Apply no more than 0.12 lb ai/A per season. Refer to product labels for application limits if products containing gamma-cyhalothrin and products containing lambda-cyhalothrin are to be used in the same season. (Group 3A)
- permethrin (numerous products) at 0.1 to 0.2 lb ai/A preemergent broadcast. If crop residues are to be used for livestock, do not apply less than 30 days prior to harvest of grain or fodder (stover). REI 12 hr. Do not apply more than 0.45 lb ai/A per season. Not for use on sweet corn seed. (Group 3A)
- tefluthrin (Force 3G and other formulations) at 0.0075 to 0.0094 lb ai/1,000 row ft, T-banded or in-furrow at planting. Do not exceed one application per season. REI 48 hr. This product is highly toxic to fish and aquatic invertebrates. (Group 3A)
- terbufos (Counter 20G) at 0.056 to 0.075 lb ai/1,000 row ft. If crop residue is to be fed to livestock, PHI is 30 days forage or grazing. REI 48 hr; or 72 hr where average rainfall is less than 25 inches per year. Do not exceed 1.3 lb ai/A per season. Not for use on sweet corn seed. (Group 1B)
- thiamethoxam (Cruiser 5FS, Cruiser Extreme)- For use in commercial seed treatment facilities only. See label for instructions. WA only. (Group 4A)
For additional information
Wireworm: Biology and Nonchemical Management in Potatoes in the Pacific Northwest. PNW 607. https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/pnw607