Cattle chewing louse (Bovicola bovis)-biting
Little blue louse (Solenopotes capillatus)-sucking
Long-nose louse (Linognathus vituli)-sucking
Short-nose louse (Haematopinus eurysternus)-sucking
A single treatment may not give complete seasonal control because none of the listed products are effective against eggs. A second treatment no later than 14 days after the first treatment is usually recommended.
- diazinon ear tag (Patriot)- One tag to each ear of all animals older than 3 months. Remove before slaughter.
- diazinon + chlorpyrifos ear tag (Warrior)-Apply one tag per animal in late fall or early winter.
- zeta-cypermethrin + piperonyl butoxide ear tag (PYthon MagnuM)-Apply one tag per head in late fall or early winter.
Injections, pour-ons, sprays
- amitraz spray or dip (Taktic)-Mix one can (760 ml) in 100 gal water. Use up to 2 gal spray or dip solution for each mature animal; wet thoroughly to point of run-off. Retreat 10 to 14 days later. No slaughter interval, no milk withholding period.
- cyfluthrin pour-on (CyLence)-See label for dosing instructions. Pour along top of back and head. Repeat treatment 3 weeks later.
- diflubenzuron pour-on (Clean-Up) at 3 ml per 100 lb of body weight up to 30 ml per animal. Apply down face and along back. Retreat as needed, but no more than once every 2 weeks.
- essential plant oils (Essentria IC3) at 30 to 90 ml (1 to 3 oz) per gal mineral oil. Spray directly on animal in amounts to sufficiently cover.
- ivermectin subcutaneous injection (Ivomec, drug) at 1 ml/50 kg (110 lb) of body weight. Inject under loose skin in front of or behind shoulder. Do not slaughter within 35 days of treatment. For control of sucking lice only.
- ivermectin pour-on (Ivomec, drug) at 1 ml/10 kg (22 lb) body weight. Apply along topline of animal. Do not slaughter within 48 days of treatment.
- lambda-cyhalothrin pour-on (Saber 1%) at 10 ml (0.3 fl oz) if < 600 lb or 15 ml (0.5 fl oz) if > 600 lb down backline of animal. Do not apply to face. Repeat as needed but no more than once every 2 weeks and no more than 4 times in 6 months.
- moxidectin pour-on (Cydectin, drug) at 1 ml/10 kg (22 lb) body weight. No pre-slaughter interval, no milk discard.
- permethrin ready-to-use pour on (1%; Atroban Delice) at 0.5 fl oz (0.005 fl oz or 0.15 ml ai) per 100 lb of body weight to a maximum of 5 fl oz (0.05 fl oz or 1.5 ml ai) per animal. Pour along backline and down face. Treat again in 14 days.
- permethrin + piperonyl butoxide pour-on (Ultra Boss) at 3 ml per 100 lb body weight. Maximum of 30 ml (1 fl oz) per animal. Treat again in 14 days.
- permethrin spray (GardStar 40% EC) at 30 to 118 ml (1 to 4 fl oz) per 25 gal water (0.013-0.05% ai). 1 to 2 quarts high pressure spray over body of animal. For low-pressure spray, apply at 118 ml (4 fl oz) to 2.5 gal water, spray till wet but not to runoff. Repeat treatment 10 to 14 days later.
- phosmet spray (Prolate/Lintox-HD) at 1 gal per 150 gal water. Apply mixture as a coarse spray wetting skin but not to point of runoff. Repeat as needed in 7 to 10 days. Do not apply within 3 days of slaughter.
- tetrachlorvinphos + ddvp (Ravap)-Mix 1 gal in 75 gal water. Apply as coarse spray, 0.5 to 1 gal spray per animal. Do not treat Brahman cattle or calves under 6 months of age. Do not treat more often than once every 10 days.
- cyfluthrin dust (CyLence)-Suspend bag where cattle congregate but not over feed, water, mineral troughs; hang bag 4 to 6 inches below backline of cattle. See label for direct application guidelines; apply as needed but no more than once every 21 days.
- permethrin backrubber or self-oiler (Gardstar 40% EC) at 118 ml/10 gal mineral oil or diesel oil. Keep rubbing device charged. Results improve with forced daily use.
- permethrin dust (several brands, 0.25%)-Suspend bags where cattle congregate. Place bags so they hang 4 to 6 inches below animal's backline. Direct applications of 2 oz per animal may be repeated as needed.
- zeta-cypermethrin + piperonyl butoxide dust (PYthon) at 2 oz per animal. Apply in dust bag, shaker, dusting glove, or mechanical duster. Repeat as needed but not more often than once every 3 days.