Pest description and crop damage Tarnished plant bug (TPB) adults are approximately 5 mm (1/5 inches) in length, mottled, yellowish-to-reddish-brown in color and have a small triangle shape on their back. Feeding on flowers can cause flower abortion. Feeding during pod stages results in scarring, malformation and dimpling or pitting of the pods. Sap may ooze from the feeding sites on the pods, which increases the risk of pod disease development. TPB can also drill directly into the seed, causing pick, reducing seed quality. Yield losses of up to 20% have been observed.
Management-chemical control (Foliar Treatment)
- Beauveria bassiana GHA (Mycotrol O) at 0.25 to 2 quarts/a. Apply in sufficient water to thoroughly cover foliage infested with insects, typically 5 to 100 gal of water per acre. REI 4 hr. Mycotrol ESO contains live spores of the naturally occurring fungus, Beauveria bassiana Strain GHA. Spores are alive and may be harmed by storage at high temperatures or contact with water for more than 24 hours. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (Bifen 2 AG Gold, others) at 0.033 to 0.04 lb ai/a or 2.1 to 2.6 fl oz/a. PHI 35 days. Do not exceed 0.08 lb ai/a or 5.12 fl oz per acre per season. Repeat applications if needed to maintain control, but do not make applications less than 14 days apart.
- chlorantraniliprole (Besiege, others) at 5.0 to 10.0 fl oz/a. Do not exceed a total of 28.0 fl oz of Besiege or 0.09 lb ai of lambda-cyhalothrin-containing products or 0.2 lb ai of chlorantraniliprole-containing products per acre per year. PHI 21 days. Minimum interval between applications is 5 days. If adjuvants are used, use only a non-ionic surfactant (NIS).
- deltamethrin (Delta Gold) at 0.009 lb ai/a. Do not apply more than 1.5 fl oz of Delta Gold per acre on canola in one growing season. Allow 7 days between applications and do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
- flonicamid (Beleaf 50 SG) at 0.089 lb ai/a. Do not apply more than 2.8 oz per acre per application or 8.4 oz/a per acre per year. Do not apply more than 3 applications per year. Allow a minimum of 7 days between applications.
- gamma-cyhalothrin (Declare) at 0.0075 to 0.015 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 0.045 lb ai per acre per season.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Lamda-Cy AG) at 0.015 to 0.03 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 0.09 lb ai (0.72 pt or 11.52 fl oz. of product) per acre per year. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
- potassium salts of fatty acid (M-Pede) at 4 pts per acre as a stand-alone product. Use 0.75 to 4 pts per acre if used in combination with other insecticides.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang Maxx) at 4.0 fl oz/a (0.025 lb ai/a). PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 24 fl oz of product (0.15 lb ai) per acre per season. Do not make applications less than 7 days apart.
Management-chemical control (Seed Treatment)
- imidacloprid (Gaucho 600) at 15.36 to 25.6 fl oz per hundredweight of seed. For suppression in their second generation. Do not graze for feed.