Includes consperse stink bug (Euschistus conspersus)
Pest description and crop damage Large, bright-green bugs, shield-shaped and flattened. They have a foul odor and may contaminate berries at harvest. The machine harvester can shake insects from the plants, potentially contaminating berries going into the harvest trays.
Correct adjustment of air-blast or vacuum-suction cleaner systems on mechanical harvesters can lessen insect contamination of machine-picked berries.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
- azadirachtin (neem oil)-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- insecticidal soap-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- kaolin-Applied as a spray to leaves, stems and fruit it acts as a repellent to some insect pests. Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
- permethrin (for use on raspberry only)
- pyrethrins-Some formulations are OMRI-listed for organic use.
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
No insecticides are registered specifically for this pest. Products applied for leafroller control before harvest (such as: bifenthrin, esfenvalerate, fenpropathrin, malathion, and zeta-cypermethrin) may provide some control of stink bugs.