Cattle chewing louse (Bovicola bovis)-biting
Little blue louse (Solenopotes capillatus)-sucking
Long-nose louse (Linognathus vituli)-sucking
Short-nose louse (Haematopinus eurysternus)-sucking
A single treatment may not give complete seasonal control because none of the listed products are effective against eggs. A second treatment no later than 14 days after the first treatment is usually recommended.
- diazinon/chlorpyrifos ear tag (Warrior)-Apply one tag per animal in late fall or early winter.
- zeta-cypermethrin/piperonyl butoxide ear tag (PYthon MagnuM)-Apply one tag per head in late fall or early winter.
Injections, pour-ons, sprays
- essential plant oils (Essentria IC3)-Apply at 30 to 90 ml (1 to 3 oz) per gal mineral oil. Spray directly on animal in amounts to sufficiently cover.
- ivermectin subcutaneous injection (Ivomec, drug)-Apply at 1 ml/50 kg (110 lb) of body weight. Inject under loose skin in front of or behind shoulder. Do not slaughter within 35 days of treatment. For control of sucking lice only.
- ivermectin pour-on (Ivomec, drug) at 1 ml/10 kg (22 lb) body weight. Apply along topline of animal. Do not slaughter within 48 days of treatment.
- lambda-cyhalothrin pour-on (Saber 1%)-Apply at 10 ml (0.3 fl oz) if < 600 lb or 15 ml (0.5 fl oz) if > 600 lb down backline of animal. Do not apply to face. Repeat as needed but no more than once every 2 weeks and no more than 4 times in 6 months.
- moxidectin pour-on (Cydectin, drug) at 1 ml/10 kg (22 lb) body weight. No pre-slaughter interval, no milk discard.
- permethrin/piperonyl butoxide pour-on (Ultra Boss) at 3 ml per 100 lb body weight. Maximum of 30 ml (1 fl oz) per animal. Treat again in 14 days.
- permethrin spray (GardStar 40% EC)-Apply at 30 to 118 ml (1 to 4 fl oz) per 25 gal water (0.013-0.05% ai). 1 to 2 quarts high pressure spray over body of animal. For low-pressure spray, apply at 118 ml (4 fl oz) to 2.5 gal water, spray till wet but not to runoff. Repeat treatment 10-14 days later.
- permethrin backrubber or self-oiler (Gardstar 40% EC)-Apply at 118 ml/10 gal mineral oil or diesel oil. Keep rubbing device charged. Results improve with forced daily use.
- permethrin dust (several brands, 0.25%)-Suspend bags where cattle congregate. Place bags so they hang 4-6 inches below animal's backline. Direct applications of 2 oz per animal may be repeated as needed.
- zeta-cypermethrin/piperonyl butoxide dust (PYthon)-Apply at 2 oz per animal. Apply in dust bag, shaker, dusting glove, or mechanical duster. Repeat as needed but not more often than once every 3 days.