Pest description and crop damage Tarnished plant bug (TPB) adults are approximately 5 mm (1/5 inches) in length, mottled, yellowish-to-reddish-brown in color and have a small triangle shape on their back. Feeding on flowers can cause flower abortion. Feeding during pod stages results in scarring, malformation and dimpling or pitting of the pods. Sap may ooze from the feeding sites on the pods, which increases the risk of pod disease development. TPB can also drill directly into the seed, causing pick, reducing seed quality. Yield losses of up to 20% have been observed.
Management-chemical control (Foliar Treatment)
- Beauveria bassiana GHA (Mycotrol ESO) at 0.50 to 2 quarts/100 gal of spray volume. REI 4 hr. Mycotrol ESO contains live spores of the naturally occurring fungus, Beauveria bassiana Strain GHA. Spores are alive and may be harmed by storage at high temperatures or contact with water for more than 24 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- bifenthrin (Bifender FC, others) at 0.033 to 0.04 lb ai/a or 1.4 to 1.7 fl oz/a. Do not exceed 0.08 lb bifenthrin per acre per season. Do not apply within 35 days of harvest. Do not apply less than 14 days apart.
- chlorantraniliprole (Besiege, others) at 5 to 10 fl oz/a. Do not exceed a total of 28 fl oz of Besiege or 0.09 lb ai of lambda-cyhalothrin-containing products or 0.2 lb ai of chlorantraniliprole-containing products per acre per year. PHI 21 days. Minimum interval between applications is 5 days. If adjuvants are used, use only a non-ionic surfactant (NIS).
- cyhalothrin-gamma (Declare) at 0.0075 to 0.015 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 0.045 lb ai per acre per season.
- deltamethrin (Delta Gold) at 0.009 lb ai/a or 0.8 fl oz/a Do not apply more than 1.5 fl oz of Delta Gold per acre on canola in one growing season. Allow 7 days between applications. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
- flonicamid (Beleaf 50 SG) at 2.8 oz/a or 0.089 lb ai/a. Do not apply more than 2.8 oz per acre per application or 8.4 oz/a per acre per year. Do not apply more than 3 applications per year. Allow a minimum of 7 days between applications.
- lambda-cyhalothrin (Lamcap II, others) at 0.015 to 0.03 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 0.09 lb ai (5.76 fl oz or 0.36 pint of product) per acre per year. Do not apply within 7 days of harvest.
- potassium salts of fatty acid (M-Pede) at 0.75 to 4 pints when applied in 25 gal of water per/a. Use 0.75 to 4 pints per acre if used in combination with other insecticides. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang) at 4.3 fl. oz/a or 0.05 lb ai/a. PHI 7 days. Do not apply more than 25.8 ounces of product or 0.3 lbs. of active ingredient per acre per season. Do not make applications less than 7 days apart.
Management-chemical control (Seed Treatment)
- imidacloprid (Gaucho 600) at 15.36 to 25.6 fl oz per hundred weight of seed. For suppression in their second generation. Do not graze for feed.