Pest description and crop damage Harvester ants are native to western North America. In the PNW, they are found in eastern Oregon and Washington. They are fairly large reddish-brown insects with a "beard" used in digging. They are common in grasslands where they build large mounds. Harvester ants are seed feeders. They are capable of producing painful bites, but they are not aggressive and rarely sting unless the colony is disturbed.
Management-chemical control: HOME USE
Management-chemical control: COMMERCIAL USE
- abamectin (Abathor Granular Ant Bait, Advance 375A Granular Ant Bait)
- bifenthrin (Talstar GC Granular Insecticide, Talstar PL Granular Insecticide Talstar S, Select Insecticide, Onyx Pro Insecticide, Actishield, multiple label names)
- deltamethrin (Suspend SC, D-Fense SC)
- hydramethylnon (Amdro Pro)-Bait.
- thiamethoxam (Meridian 0.33G Insecticide, Meridian 25WG Insecticide, Flagship 25WG Insecticide)-Note: Neonicotinoid pesticides have been banned from use on public properties in some towns and counties (check with local authorities).