Includes alfalfa looper (Autographa californica)
Pest description and crop damage The adult moth is grayish to light brown. Front wings have a characteristic teardrop mark. Mature larvae are about 1 inch long, light green, with pale heads. They move in a looping fashion.
- azadirachtin (Neemix 4.5) at 0.015 to 0.021 lb ai/A. REI 4 hr. PHI 0 days. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt)-See product labels for rates. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Add an appropriate spreader-sticker to enhance control. Most effective on small, actively feeding larvae. OMRI- listed for organic use.
- Beauveria bassiana GHA (Mycotrol ESO, BoteGHA ES) at 0.25 to 1 quart in 5 to 100 gal water/A. Adjust water volume to ensure good coverage but avoid runoff. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. OMRI-listed for organic use.
- chlorantraniliprole (Coragen, Prevathon) at 0.045 to 0.098 lb ai/A. Max rate for Prevathon is 0.067 lb ai/A. PHI 0 days. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 0.2 lb ai or 4 applications per calendar year
- methoxyfenozide (Intrepid 2F) at 0.06 to 0.16 lb ai/A. PHI 7 days for hay; 0 days for forage; livestock can enter and graze on treated area immediately after application. REI 4 hr. Do not exceed 0.5 lb ai/A/yr. Do not make more than one application per cutting.
- zeta-cypermethrin (Mustang, Mustang Maxx) Mustang at 0.035 to 0.05 lb ai/A; Mustang Maxx at 0.0175-0.025 lb ai/A. PHI 3 days for cutting and grazing; 7 days for seed. REI 12 hr. Do not apply more than 0.05 lb ai per cutting or 0.15 lb ai per season of Mustang or 0.025 lb ai per cutting and 0.075 lb ai per season of Mustang Maxx. Retreatment interval 7 days.